Question: What is No More Sidelines?
Answer: No More Sidelines is a nonprofit organization, run by volunteers, committed to helping children and young adults with special needs in our community. We provide children and young adults with special needs, ages eight and older, an opportunity to play sports year round and to participate in community events and outings.
Question: Who can participate in No More Sidelines?
Answer: All children and young adults, ages 7 and older, with all and varying degrees of special needs, are invited to participate in the No More Sideline’s activities.
Question: What are the age requirements to join No More Sidelines?
Answer: Ages 7 and older.
Question: How can No More Sidelines benefit my child?
Answer: No More Sidelines provides children and young adults the opportunity to participate with non-disabled peers in sports and community events, and to assist them in becoming accepted members of the community.
Question: How much does it cost to join No More Sidelines?
Answer: There is no cost to your child to participate with No More Sidelines. Essential athletic equipment and uniforms are provided.
Question: What sports are available to participants?
Answer: No More Sideline currently offers Bowling, Softball, Soccer, Basketball, Bocce Ball and Track & Field. We also have added the opportunity of the I-CAN Project which provides Inclusion, Contemporary Dance, Art & Nutrition.
Question: Do I have to participate in all the activities to be part of No More Sidelines?
Answer: Your child does not need to participate in every sport to be a part of No More Sidelines.
Question: How do I sign my child up?
Answer: You are welcome to attend any No More Sideline event. We will ask you to complete an Athlete Participation packet and then you are all set.
Question: Where do the sporting events take place?
Answer: Sporting events take place in various locations. All sports have a practice area and then we also have clinics throughout the area that includes participation with area high school and college students in order to provide participation with non-disabled peers.
Question: What types of community events are offered to participants?
Answer: Community events are constantly being added as the community embaraces our mission and as more requests come from the participants. Following are activities that NMS has participated in:
- Football – Muskegon Thunder Football Game
- Racing – Winston Speedway
- Hockey – Lumberjack’s Hockey Game
- Drag Races – Twisting Trails ATV Drag Races
- Roller Skating – Jumping Jupiter
- Swimming – Spring Lake Aquatic Center, Lake Forest Apartments, Amerihost Inn
- Bocce Ball – Our Lady of Grace Church
- Basketball – Wheelchair Basketball Challenge-Ambucs, Harlem Globetrotters
- Fishing – Muskegon Elks
- Camping – Indian Trails Camp, Pioneer Trails Camp
- Sleigh Rides – Twisting Trails Snowmobile Club
- Craig’s Cruisers-Holland
- Crazy Bounce – Holland, MI
- Parades – Summer Celebration, North Muskegon Fun Fest
- Cruises – Holland Princess Dinner/Dance Cruise, Port City Princess Cruise
- Dances – Valentine’s Day Dance-Reeths Puffer High School, Christmas Dance – Laketon Bethel Reformed Church Youth Group,
- Parties – Halloween Party, Family Party-Spread the Music Foundation, Family Day – Muskegon Elks
- Extra Innings
- Circus – Shriners, Tri City Kiwanis
- Fish Fry – Knights of Columbus, Saint Thomas Catholic ChurchCrafts – Craft Day at Bethel Baptist Church
- Art Auction – Greater Muskegon Women’s League
- Movies – Cinema Carousel
- Planetarium – Muskegon Community College
- Arts & Crafts Day for Mother’s Day
- Nature Trip – Ludington State Park, Muskegon Community College
- Zoo – Binder Park Zoo
Question: How can I help?
Answer: There are many ways to help and be a part of the No More Sideline’s mission.
- Time and Talent:
No More Sidelines is always looking for dedicated volunteers who love working with children and young adults and have a heart for children with special needs. We need coaches and encouragers!
- Sports Equipment and Trophies:
Gently used or new sporting gear continue to be a need as our numbers grow. Basketballs, softball equipment, soccer gear, and athletic shoes are just a few items needed.
- Season and Team Sponsors:
Depending on the sport, it costs $500.00 to $1000.00 to run a season of sporting activities. We participate in Basketball, Track and Field, Softball, Soccer and Bowling. No More Sidelines is able to field (or court) four teams per season. Teams can be sponsored with the child’s uniform reflecting the name or logo of the sponsor.
- Camp Sponsorship:
Send a No More Sidelines child to camp with a donation of $80.00.
- Special Community Events Sponsor:
Each month, No More Sidelines participates in a Community Event, such as dances, movies, fishing, boat rides and arena sporting events. We are always looking for business to sponsor an event or events that could provide an outing. The events average $500.00.
- Valentine’s Dance, each February:
Dress clothes are needed for this event. Boy’s and girl’s and young men and women’s formal attire, shoes, purses and jewelry to dress the kids for a good time they normally don’t get to share. Please plan to join us, the cost is just $5.00 for a fun evening of food& dancing.
- Fundraising Activities:
Each year, No More Sidelines has two major fundraisers-our Golf Outing and the Annual “Set the Stage” Gala event. 100% of proceeds go to No More Sidelines.
- “Set the Stage” Gala Event:
This is truly a wonderful evening of dinner, dancing, and an outstanding live and silent auction. Each year the event is held in March. Ticketss are on sale and table sponsorships are available. Auction items are needed as well. Come join us at the Gala!
- Golf Outing: each summer
We are in need of golfers, tee sponsors, prizes, contest prizes, and an overall outing sponsor to cover the cost of meals, signs, golf accessories, etc.
Question: Can I volunteer?
Answer: No More Sidelines would not be successful if it were not for the volunteers who contribute their time, resources and talents to our organization. To become a volunteer, please complete the Volunteer Form and mail it to our office.